Bucking the post-racial trend...

I meant to post this one awhile ago... but in light of Colson Whitehead's fantabulous NYTimes OpEd yesterday, now seems as good a time as any... Apparently A.O. Scott (amongst others) are continuing to buck the post-racial trend...

I've been reading Richard Thompson Ford's book, The Race Card: How Bluffing About Bias Makes Race Relations Worse. Meanwhile, I received a heads-up from my friend (and ever-trusty NYT-alert-system), Mike Rubin... the subject-line?


I'm not sure I understand what Scott means by a "recognizable type" and how that differs from a plain old stereotype. Or what he (or anyone else) means by "identity." That word is just like so over-used, it's like the word LIKE.

I know that older generations still feel the anticipatory sting of anti-semitism every time the word Jew is mentioned in public. The anticipation is laced with the question of whether it's a Jew saying "Jew" or someone-other-than-a-Jew (SOTAJ) saying "Jew." Why?! And why are people so sure they know who's-a-Jew? And why does anyone care: a Jew is a Jew is a Jew, nu?

No.